Julie A. Smith Hughes: Artist, Educator, Wife, and Mother of two daughters.

Welcome to this blog - it will document a year's worth of notes, ideas, and progress. January 2012 begins this collection.

17 January 2012

Week 2: Jan 9 - 15

This past week - went so fast - like all the rest.  Watching basketball, volleyball, teaching online art history, laundry (some of it), a walk, and the book The Fault in Our Stars, all found a place - found some time.  Art - wedged itself into the week as well.  It doesn't seem like the week was overly productive but I've come to realize and appreciate that artistic thought counts for something.  Thoughts, questions, reflections constantly exist and may lead to an actual piece of artwork -  maybe not or not yet.  But no matter - here are a few things from the week. 


A while back I went to visit my friend, Target.  Every visit I always grab a cart - just in case I find a clearance item among the other things I don't need.  Found flower bulbs in a pot ready to hide in a dark space - don't remember the type of flower but this past week I watched them bloom.  I'm not a photographer - but enjoy contrast and composition. 



This small canvas was something I started last July and was packed away for a few months.  Since the studio is now organized, the canvas resurfaced.  Text was added with acrylic and pencil.  


Will continue to mess with collage and perhaps more layers of paint - maybe color...or not...I'm not quite ready to know. 

1 comment:

Libby Schwade said...

The photography is stunning. Contrast amazing. Love the texture on the O. Cool. Could feel it thru the computer.

A Fault in the Stars....staring at me for a week now....tempting..